- 1 Radio
- 2 I have a question for you about "Niujis Gutiskarazda."
- 3 Diacritics
- 4 Gothic literature Facebook page
- 5 Re:
- 6 Categories, templates, InterWiki
- 7 Adminship
- 8 Gothic wikia
- 9 Gothic-L
- 10 Aleisja in Sildaleikalanda aírzeins
- 11 font
- 12 Names
- 13 Italia
- 14 Responses: Question, Thanks
- 15 Gothic keyboard
- 16 Adminship
- 17 Your temporary access is going to expire soon
- 18 Hello
- 19 Your temporary permissions have expired
- 20 Share your experience and feedback as a Wikimedian in this global survey
- 21 Your feedback matters: Final reminder to take the global Wikimedia survey
- 22 Your temporary access has expired
- 23 Keyboard
i invented a Gothic word for radio, "utwarps" strong m. It's from Icelandic "útvarp." My personal view of Gothic should be one of the purest Germanic languages (alongside with German and Icelandic). But I do derive words from Modern Greek also as well as Italian. Moonspell Bloodlines (talk) 03:54, 25 𐌱𐌻𐍉𐌼𐌰𐌼𐌴𐌽𐍉𐌸𐍃 2014 (UTC)
- Hello. Don't you think that sound device might be a better word for Gothic? utwarps could be confused with pulling out an USB-stick. I know Swedish and German (and of course Dutch), but I don't know Icelandic very well unfortunately. I can only read it partly. Shouldn't we start a kind of group to discuss new vocabulary? Could you add me to your skype? Mine is roel1170 Bokareis (talk) 17:39, 25 𐌱𐌻𐍉𐌼𐌰𐌼𐌴𐌽𐍉𐌸𐍃 2014 (UTC)
I have a question for you about "Niujis Gutiskarazda."[𐌹𐌽𐌼𐌰𐌹𐌳𐌴𐌹]
Ok, I'm not Christian, Jewish or Muslim but, should the Gothic language get a new translation of the Bible and (eventually) of the Torah (Got. Taúrah) and the Qur'an (Got. Hal-Qaranus)? Just a thought I had. Moonspell the Goth (Mēnasáiþjis Gutan) (talk) 17:47, 5 𐍆𐍂𐌿𐌼𐌰 𐌾𐌹𐌿𐌻𐌴𐌹𐍃 2014 (UTC)
Hey, I saw you added diacritics to the Latin text on the main page. I just wanted to tell you that the creater of this wikipedia and the common practice for Gothic is that no diacritics are used. They only appear in grammars for diminish ambiguation. But normally they are not used for the Gothic script doesn't use it either and the Latin script just serves as a transkription not an own script system. Zylbath (talk) 22:32, 25 𐌰𐍃𐌰𐌽𐌼𐌴𐌽𐍉𐌸𐍃 2014 (UTC)
- I understand that, but I got complaints earlier that I should use diacretics as people don't know how to pronounce Gothic without them. You are right that the Gothic script doesn't use it either, but if we want to use Gothic as a modern language, people need to know how to pronounce words correctly, that's why I add diacretics in my Gothic texts and some other users at this wikipedia actually add them too to their articles. It's indeed a modern invitation, but diacretics aren't just there for fun, for a modern used Gothic language we need, just as in the revival-project of Prussian use diacretics for our language to easen the use for our users. When we use the Gothic script we can do without diacretics but I don't think that we should do the same as Hebrew and Arabic and make the language harder by not adding diacretics. The reason why so few people learn Gothic is that even if they learn it, they need to learn a new alphabet and/or don't know how to pronounce words. This is why I recommend to use the Latin transcription for modern Gothic and use the Gothic script side-by-side, instead of the main-thing. If you learn Gothic in Latin script you can read original Gothic writings too if you learn the Gothic alphabet later. Maybe you disagree, but I look at the viewpoint of potential learners instead of the language, if we just use Gothic script the language will never be used in any way by a lot of people. Bokareis (talk) 02:34, 26 𐌰𐍃𐌰𐌽𐌼𐌴𐌽𐍉𐌸𐍃 2014 (UTC)
- I totally understand your point but as I mentioned the creators of this wikipedia and some of them are old-germanists made it as a premise not to use diacritics. Actually the translation function of this Wikipedia has been closed because the Latin script has been used here too much. Language cannot be separated from its script so easily. The Gothic script isn't even a hard one it can easily be learned and read. And I don't think the reason for Gothic's little popularity is the script, it is morely that noone speeks it since 1300 years, it has no lingual descendent as of today and there is probably no genetic descendent from the Goths. So, Gothic has actually no personal relevance for anybody.
- Of course it is easier in computational cases to use the Latin script as it is the script we all use. But in my opinion it is an inevitable componant of the Gothic language. If you want to revive it it has to happen together with its script. That is my opinion, the Latin script should only occur in cases of learning the language/script and in cases where there is no possibility to read it on a screen, as we do here with the dropdown menu where the gothic text is in Latin script. The fact that the new Unicode adapted the Gothic script makes it even easier to work with it on computers. I know we differ in this case and I hope this won't lead to some dispute, I can of course also understand your point. But as the people from the wikipedia leadership seem to be a bit sensitive (as can be seen with the closing of our translation function because of using the Latin script) we should not pushing it with using diacritis for 'au' and 'ei' whereas they don't wont it here. This also appeals for the way of writing with hyphens like 'ga-laubeins' which should also not be used here. Gothic's morphology is actually quite easy to analyse, so hyphens are not really necessary. Zylbath (talk) 17:02, 26 𐌰𐍃𐌰𐌽𐌼𐌴𐌽𐍉𐌸𐍃 2014 (UTC)
- I mostly agree with you, but when I tried to translate websites that could only happen in the Latin script, so the revived form of Gothic will anyway use Latin script often, even if there was Gothic script first. I also started the first Gothic news website where I publish news in Gothic, but I use the modern Latinized version and I add Gothic unicode sometimes, the reason why is because most people can read it in this way while my amount of visitors would drop if I would choose to just use a Gothic script which not everyone can use. That is also one of my complaints, some people can't even view the Gothic unicode and just get question marks, while if you use the Latinized version (our best option is side-by-side Latin and Gothic script), people can at least read the text. My solution is if we want to publish books etc. we have two-side pages, one side with the Gothic text in the Latinized form and the other side with the text in the Gothic script. Why? Because it's not only a reading help but also because we might push people away which would potentially want to use Gothic, but stop because they can't read the script. Also, all modern 20th century books about Gothic are in Latin script, including the poem of J.R.R. Tolkien.
Gothic literature Facebook page[𐌹𐌽𐌼𐌰𐌹𐌳𐌴𐌹]
Hey I just want you to check out my Gothic language Facebook page. I created it today. My friend has created a Proto-Germanic literature page and that inspired me to make a Gothic literature page.
- It looks good to me, but maybe you should add more literature, as that's the name of the group. I 'm translating the other 3 chapters of the communist manifesto in Gothic, if you like it and you consider it as literature you could add it, I translated the complete 4th chapter already.
You could also link to my news website. I have one recommendation. Gothic was originally written in the Gothic script by Wulfila, not in Runic letters, Runic letters were used for Proto-Germanic and although Proto-Germanic was close to Gothic, they aren't the same languages. http://communistmanifestoingothic.wordpress.com/
- I'm aware of that, Bokareis. Gothic is the closest language to PG, they are not the same but i think of it as a continuation of it. That's wghy I believe Gothic should not change it's sounds and vocabulary spelling, so people can get an idea of what PG sounded like. It's like Icelandic and Old Norse, Modern Icelanders can read Old Norse very well. Same with Lithuanian and Proto-Indo-European:
"Anyone wishing to hear how Indo-Europeans spoke should come and listen to a Lithuanian peasant." —Antoine Meillet
Same should be said for Gothic:
"Anyone wishing to hear how Proto-Germanic peoples spoke should come and listen to a goth speak Gothic." —Moonspell Bloodlines
As for my Gothic literature page, i'm sorry you feel the way you do. I created the page to have freedom with the language. Look I translated the beginning of the Iliad, a few Norse poems and now I'm going to translate the entire Nibelugenlied. I translated song in Gothic too.Moonspell Bloodlines (talk) 01:55, 6 𐍅𐌴𐌹𐌽𐌼𐌴𐌽𐍉𐌸𐍃 2014 (UTC)
- Ok, if freedom means doing whatever you want with a language I will write an English poem now:
I speak the English, Is wonderful language the, as language comes from the Germanics
Categories, templates, InterWiki[𐌹𐌽𐌼𐌰𐌹𐌳𐌴𐌹]
Hey, I have seen you made a lot of new articles. That's very good! :) But could you please add a category to everyone of those? In Wikipedia there should be no article without at least one category. For those articles that are in the list of important things every Wikipedia should have we have an own category, that had to be added too. And in that list the article name of the new article has to be added/changed. See 𐌰𐍂𐌰𐌱𐌹𐍃𐌺𐍃 for example. If you don't know what category there is to take you can browse some articles from that list to see where they were put in. If they also don't have a category, please put them in some. Thank you and good work :) Zylbath (talk) 10:04, 9 𐍅𐌴𐌹𐌽𐌼𐌴𐌽𐍉𐌸𐍃 2014 (UTC) __________________________________
I have seen you used an own table for the Ireland article. But you don't need to, we have an own template for countries as you can see in 𐌸𐌹𐌿𐌳𐌹𐍃𐌺𐌰𐌻𐌰𐌽𐌳. It is easier to use and looks better. You might appreciate less work. ^^ Zylbath (talk) 10:26, 9 𐍅𐌴𐌹𐌽𐌼𐌴𐌽𐍉𐌸𐍃 2014 (UTC) __________________________________
Sorry for the spam, this is probably the last thing for today. ;) But I wanted to add when you add a new article please always set the InterWiki links on the left to the other languages so it gets connected to them. Thank you. Zylbath (talk) 10:57, 9 𐍅𐌴𐌹𐌽𐌼𐌴𐌽𐍉𐌸𐍃 2014 (UTC)
Thank you for welcoming me here. And yes, we did talk on the Old English Wikipedia before.
I believe the standard procedure for requesting adminship on a Wikipedia is to start a discussion on the Wikipedia's adminship request page and wait about a week; if the general reaction is positive, then you file a request here.
I hope this helps.
I just created a Gothic website for my literature page, http://got.gutiska.wikia.com/wiki/Gothic_Wiki_%28%F0%90%8C%B2%F0%90%8C%BF%F0%90%8D%84%F0%90%8C%B9%F0%90%8D%83%F0%90%8C%BA%F0%90%8C%B0_%F0%90%8D%85%F0%90%8C%B9%F0%90%8C%BA%F0%90%8C%BE%F0%90%8C%B0%29. Just launched it yesterday. Moonspell the Goth (Mēnasáiþjis Gutan) (talk) 17:47, 5 𐍆𐍂𐌿𐌼𐌰 𐌾𐌹𐌿𐌻𐌴𐌹𐍃 2014 (UTC) That's nice, I have seen it today already.Could you help at Crowdin with translating the apps which I referred you to?
Okay, I've finally found the time to join Gothic-l. How long do I have to wait before I can post there and start a topic? Moreover, how does one post a message and start a topic? By the way, I'm "Viridzen" on there. --Shikku27316 (talk) 22:37, 15 𐍆𐍂𐌿𐌼𐌰 𐌾𐌹𐌿𐌻𐌴𐌹𐍃 2014 (UTC)
Aleisja in Sildaleikalanda aírzeins[𐌹𐌽𐌼𐌰𐌹𐌳𐌴𐌹]
Þan anakunnáida ik skeirein þeinōn af bōkō "Aleisja in Sildaleikalanda", bigat ik aírzeins. Afar satein "Ni waihts was ABRABA sildaleiks in þamma", ita skal mēljáidáu, "nih ahjada Aleisja abraba ungawunaleiks (?) hausjan kuneikulus du sik qiþan", iþ þaúrbada ist 'Hilpa! Hilpa! Ik im seiþus!'. Bijands, "itand katos mustriggos" skal wisan "itand kattjus mustriggans?" jah "itand mustiggos katos" skal wisan "itand mustriggos kattuns?" (Habai mik faúrqiþan, unte gutiskarazda meina ni goda ist.) --Shikku27316 (talk) 02:54, 18 𐍆𐍂𐌿𐌼𐌰 𐌾𐌹𐌿𐌻𐌴𐌹𐍃 2014 (UTC)
- Beste Flaemingjaland, Robert Pfeffer zal het Skeirs font een volledig vrije licentie geven, het is de bedoeling dat we dat dan zo implenteren dat het hier voor iedereen zichtbaar is via een wikifont. Momenteel is het erg moeilijk om een goed Gotisch font te weergeven en ik weet helaas niet hoe je er een kan weergeven hier. Ik kan je wel helpen met een pagina met fonts:
http://www.wazu.jp/gallery/Fonts_Gothic.html http://simplythebest.net/fonts/fonts/gothic_1.html Mijn excuses voor het slechte en ongrammaticale Gotisch soms, de vorige admins hebben er een potje van gemaakt dus ik probeer nu zoveel mogelijk te herstellen. Ik heb o.a. de fontpage zo aangepast dat je nu iedere week een nieuw hoofdartikel hebt en iedere dag 3 feiten. Bokareis (talk) 11:06, 10 𐍅𐌰𐍂𐌼𐌼𐌴𐌽𐍉𐌸𐍃 2015 (UTC)
Hey, I saw you moved several articles. May I ask why you did that without reading the discussions on that topic on our Wikipedia and by violating the apparent rule that we have to transliterate persons' names by solving it phonetically and graphematically and not by renaming every person as if they had Gothic names? That might be funny for comics but for an encyclopedia. "Amy Winehouse" is simply "Amy Winehouse". In Dutch you also wouldn't rename her "Amy Wijnhuis", because that is just not her name. Almost no language does it that way (espacially not at Wikipedia if you look at the other languages of the article of Amy Winehouse), espacially as we would reach the limits very fast with that because some names can be gothified and some can't, but that inconsistency is neither an elaborated transliteration system nor is it useful to search for famous people. Even if "𐌺𐍂𐌹𐍃𐍄𐍉𐍆𐌴𐍂" would be "𐍇𐍂𐌹𐍃𐍄𐌿𐌱𐌰𐌹𐍂" as a Gothic name, that doesn't make "Christofer Lee" "Xristubair Lie" for that is just not his name. That would be altering reality, the mere opposite of what an encyclopedia should do. The phonetic system we had before was already quite good, many of the rules were discussed and passed in the gothic mailing list. So, I recommend you re-move them. We can start a new page where we discuss and then codify transliteration rules so that they are obvious for every user and we don't have to discuss them every time. Kevin Behrens (talk) 07:56, 27 𐌰𐌲𐌿𐍃𐍄𐌿𐍃 2015 (UTC)
Hello, Bokaires. I'm writing the gothic page "Italia" (in English Italy) but I don't know the gothic language very well. Can you check what is wrong? You don't have to answer me. Bye. --220.127.116.11 17:23, 3 𐍆𐍂𐌿𐌼𐌰 𐌾𐌹𐌿𐌻𐌴𐌹𐍃 2015 (UTC)
- Hello, I 'll log in later. I 'd like politely to ask you to not continue with the article, as we already have one about Italy. I 'll merge the useful content which you wrote with it I guess. Titles need to be in gothic script, articles too, we need to get unity in this here, therefore articles in Roman script aren't accepted anymore. You're new so I 'll convert it for you now. As for your Gothic, I disagree, you serm to know it to some extent, believe me, I 've seen really horrible Gothic, yours isn't. Contact me with the contact form on my website Himma Daga please if you want to learn Gothic from me.
- Hi, I 'm logged in now. I basically already said what i needed to say here, if you need any help with Gothic, don't mind to contact me. Bokareis (talk) 11:34, 4 𐍆𐍂𐌿𐌼𐌰 𐌾𐌹𐌿𐌻𐌴𐌹𐍃 2015 (UTC)
Thanks for your indication.
But, it wasn't necessary, I am a 15 years old Italian student. I want to study at school now, I'm sure I will learn Gothic in the future because I really like history and languages. Bye--18.104.22.168 15:43, 4 𐍆𐍂𐌿𐌼𐌰 𐌾𐌹𐌿𐌻𐌴𐌹𐍃 2015 (UTC)
Responses: Question, Thanks[𐌹𐌽𐌼𐌰𐌹𐌳𐌴𐌹]
Hey. Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.
I think that one of us would need to run a bot if we really want "automatic" welcoming; sadly, I know nothing of the sort.
As for the starter's guide, you're welcome. I'll continue to improve it and other things like that in my free time.
Lastly, I applied for adminship.
I was in the process of working on this, but I could never decide on what layout would be "best".
Could you show me yours again and the message(s) from the person/people that rejected it?
Well, the only reason that I did not immediately put anything there was that I was told that it is customary to wait at least a week for community discussion to take place before doing so.
As for whether they can grant us permanent adminship, I believe that depends on the number of currently active people, and I don't believe there are enough here.
Your temporary access is going to expire soon[𐌹𐌽𐌼𐌰𐌹𐌳𐌴𐌹]
- Could you also translate Automatic refresh? -XQV- (𐌲𐌰𐍅𐌰𐌿𐍂𐌳𐌾𐌰) 15:28, 10 𐌰𐍆𐍄𐌿𐌼𐌰 𐌾𐌹𐌿𐌻𐌴𐌹𐍃 2017 (UTC)
Your temporary permissions have expired[𐌹𐌽𐌼𐌰𐌹𐌳𐌴𐌹]
- This survey is primarily meant to get feedback on the Wikimedia Foundation's current work, not long-term strategy.
- Legal stuff: No purchase necessary. Must be the age of majority to participate. Sponsored by the Wikimedia Foundation located at 149 New Montgomery, San Francisco, CA, USA, 94105. Ends January 31, 2017. Void where prohibited. Click here for contest rules.
Your feedback matters: Final reminder to take the global Wikimedia survey[𐌹𐌽𐌼𐌰𐌹𐌳𐌴𐌹]
(Sorry to write in English)
Your temporary access has expired[𐌹𐌽𐌼𐌰𐌹𐌳𐌴𐌹]
Please see the comments at https://github.com/wikimedia/jquery.ime/pull/494 .